1A subdivision of a department in France, for purposes of local government administration.
- The UDPM spread its structure to cercles and arrondissements (administrative subdivisions) across the land.
- The administration of the governmental system is organized through the levels of nation, region, department, arrondissement, canton, and commune.
- These regions are further subdivided into arrondissements, then into communes or townships.
1.1An administrative district of certain large French cities, in particular Paris.
- The fire in the Hotel Paris-Opera, on April 15, in the luxury-shopping district of the ‘grands magasins’ department stores in the IX arrondissement, still exacts its toll of human misery.
- From these projects, the excellence of the French public transport system ensures that the most fashionable arrondissements are within easy reach of the most inveterate thief and vandal.
- The eviction of some 50 artists from the Grange-aux-Belles squat in the 10th arrondissement took place despite support from the French Ministry of Culture and the local council.
French, from arrondir 'make round'.
Definition of arrondissement in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.