- 1A subdivision of a department in France, for purposes of local government administration.More example sentences
- The UDPM spread its structure to cercles and arrondissements (administrative subdivisions) across the land.
- The administration of the governmental system is organized through the levels of nation, region, department, arrondissement, canton, and commune.
- These regions are further subdivided into arrondissements, then into communes or townships.
- 1.1An administrative district of certain large French cities, in particular Paris.More example sentences
- The fire in the Hotel Paris-Opera, on April 15, in the luxury-shopping district of the ‘grands magasins’ department stores in the IX arrondissement, still exacts its toll of human misery.
- From these projects, the excellence of the French public transport system ensures that the most fashionable arrondissements are within easy reach of the most inveterate thief and vandal.
- The eviction of some 50 artists from the Grange-aux-Belles squat in the 10th arrondissement took place despite support from the French Ministry of Culture and the local council.
French, from arrondir 'make round'.
More definitions of arrondissementDefinition of arrondissement in:
- The British & World English dictionary