Painful inflammation and stiffness of the joints.
More example sentences
- Some people with psoriasis develop an inflammation of the joints known as psoriatic arthritis.
- We get through our cancer and heart disease only to face arthritis, dementia, and osteoporosis.
- Bone and joint ailments such as arthritis and rheumatism are often reported too.
mid 16th century: via Latin from Greek, from arthron 'joint'. Arthritic was already used in late Middle English.
- More example sentences
- An arthritic joint often contains loose bodies that interfere with smooth movement.
- Asthmatics and arthritics do better by objective measures, such as peak flow rate or flexibility.
- Now I must rest my arthritic fingers, twisted with the hard labor of my 50 years.
Pronunciation: /-ˈTHritik/adjective & noun
Definition of arthritis in:
- The British & World English dictionary