Definition of artificer in English:
1A skilled craftsman or inventor.
- The grant was for land to provide a site for a Trades Hall and Literary Institute at Sydney for the use of artificers and operatives.
- In every civilization, the skilled artificer has an honored place beside the scribe and the shaman.
- Peacham, indeed, offered drawing as ‘a gentleman's exercise’ which could also serve ‘for the necessarie use and generall benefite of diuers trades-men and artificers, as namly painters, ioyners, free-masons, cutters, and carvers.’
1.1British Military A skilled mechanic in the armed forces.
- The separate pay scales for artificers / technicians and for other branches will disappear.
- Engine room artificers, boatswains, tugboat crews and quartermasters in the harbour master section (navigation branch) of the Sri Lanka Port Authority began an overtime boycott on November 12.
- A certain number of foreman artificers, electricians, blacksmiths etc, are also required for service with the army.
Definition of artificer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan