- 1A worker in a skilled trade, especially one that involves making things by hand.More example sentences
- Bali is blessed with skilled and creative artisans as well as potential markets.
- The Jamaican Arawaks were skilled artisans who left their paintings on the walls of many island caves.
- The wages in real terms for agricultural workers and artisans have fallen.
- 1.1 [as modifier] (Of food or drink) made in a traditional or non-mechanized way using high-quality ingredients: local artisan cheeses the growing appreciation of artisan foodsMore example sentences
- Saturday morning greenmarkets nearby offer a venue for farmers to sell heirloom tomatoes, artisan goat cheeses, and baby vegetables.
- The focus is on producing high quality artisan cheeses in an eco-friendly way.
- At the Craft Marketplace, you can pick up handmade honey, artisan chocolates, gluten-free breads, fruity jams, and organic cheese.
mid 16th century: from French, from Italian artigiano, based on Latin artitus, past participle of artire 'instruct in the arts', from ars, art- 'art'.