Definition of artist in English:
1A person who produces paintings or drawings as a profession or hobby.
- There he met all the other famous artists like Henri Matisse, Joan Miro and George Braques.
- Cubist painting gave to artists complete freedom to deal with reality in art in any way they chose.
- One bathroom featured a Thai Buddha while others were hung with paintings by artists such as Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo.
1.1A person who practices any of the various creative arts, such as a sculptor, novelist, poet, or filmmaker.
- Creative artists, screenwriters and filmmakers will need time to figure it out too.
- Also, they all work in creative fields - artists, musicians, writers, architectural photographers, cartoonists.
- The WSF was in some ways like a circus - a huge performing act with many artists, acrobats, entertainers.
1.2A person skilled at a particular task or occupation: a surgeon who is an artist with the scalpel
More example sentences
- This was of course without the skilled crew of artists and technicians special effects departments deploy today.
- Yes, his squad of highly skilled artists can weave beautiful patterns and cut a poor defence to ribbons, but we knew that anyway.
- We have two positions for artists skilled in modelling and texturing.
1.3A performer, such as a singer, actor, or dancer.
- A former folk singer and recording artist, Lester introduces ten of the most beloved black blues singers with the voice and wisdom of an elder.
- Local recording artist and singer, Michael English, who is a past pupil, was guest speaker and award presenter.
- The AMI award for best male artist went to pop singer Rio Febrian while the award for best pop album went to singer Marcel.
1.4 [with modifier] informal A habitual practitioner of a specified reprehensible activity: a con artist rip-off artists
More example sentences
- All too regularly we carry stories detailing how con artists and thieves swindled and stole from householders.
- The ex-husband, on the other hand, is one of those cardboard cutout con artist crooks whose rather simple death is more decent than he deserves.
- The scheme, supported by the Evening Advertiser, was set up in Wroughton, a burglary hotspot, in August 2002 to combat the activities of con artists.
Words that rhyme with artistChartist
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.