Definition of arum in English:
A North American and European plant that has arrow-shaped leaves and a broad leafy spathe enclosing a club-shaped spadix, and that bears bright red berries in late summer.
- Arum, Arisaema, and other genera, family Araceae (the arum family): several species, including jack-in-the-pulpit, cuckoopint, and skunk cabbage. The arum family also contains a number of popular houseplants, such as philodendrons and calla lilies
- It's a South American species, Xanthosoma robustum, that's related to the dead-horse arum, philodendron, and skunk cabbage.
- The specific epithet amorphophallus refers to the central spadix of the arum, and essentially means amorphous phallus, or shapeless penis.
- Its illustrations - detailed, accurate, and delightful - portray plants ranging from Aegyptian water lily to zebra-flowered arum, commonly known as jack-in-the-pulpit.
Definition of arum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan