Definition of arum in English:
A North American and European plant that has arrow-shaped leaves and a broad leafy spathe enclosing a club-shaped spadix, and that bears bright red berries in late summer.
- Arum, Arisaema, and other genera, family Araceae (the arum family): several species, including jack-in-the-pulpit, cuckoopint, and skunk cabbage. The arum family also contains a number of popular houseplants, such as philodendrons and calla lilies
- It's a South American species, Xanthosoma robustum, that's related to the dead-horse arum, philodendron, and skunk cabbage.
- The specific epithet amorphophallus refers to the central spadix of the arum, and essentially means amorphous phallus, or shapeless penis.
- Its illustrations - detailed, accurate, and delightful - portray plants ranging from Aegyptian water lily to zebra-flowered arum, commonly known as jack-in-the-pulpit.
Words that rhyme with arumharem, harum-scarum, Sarum
Definition of arum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.