noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- Of or denoting a radical derived from an aromatic hydrocarbon by removal of a hydrogen atom: aryl groupsMore example sentences
- The phenyl group is a ring structure, and as such, it is an aryl group (an organic group derived from an aromatic hydrocarbon with the absence of one hydrogen).
- Ardrox, a mixture of alkyl aryl polyglycol ethers, alkylalcohol ethoxylate propoxylate, and petroleum distillates, provides a yellow color.
- For example, one human gene, first described in 1992, is aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator, a mouthful that is hard to remember except by its acronym, ARNT.
More definitions of arylDefinition of aryl in:
- The British & World English dictionary