Definition of ascetic in English:
Characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons: an ascetic life of prayer, fasting, and manual labor a narrow, humorless, ascetic face
More example sentences
- Sufism emphasises the more mystical and ascetic aspects of the religion.
- Yet the texts are firmly part of the later medieval world: the first two come from the writings of visionary women mystics and the last from a rigorously ascetic monastic theologian.
- True spirituality, or godliness, is found in everyday social relationships as well as in prayer, learning, or ascetic practices.
nounBack to top
A person who practices severe self-discipline and abstention.
- The composition of hymns of the Rig-Veda was done by Hindu recluses, ascetics, Rishis and Sages rooted in the realities of life inside the society.
- These are the qualities of Siva, the lord of yogis and ascetics.
- The major sect of Udasin ascetics was originally not Shaiva - nor even Hindu - but belonged to the Sikh religion.
- Example sentences
- She had lived ascetically to the point where she destroyed her fragile mental and physical health.
- Resigning his see to write, preach, and travel, he lived ascetically in London.
- Are all men welcome to go there only if they live as monks, sharing the humility and simple lives of the inhabitants, eating, dressing, and living ascetically and piously, etc.?
Words that rhyme with asceticaesthetic (US esthetic), alphabetic, anaesthetic (US anesthetic), antithetic, apathetic, apologetic, arithmetic, athletic, balletic, bathetic, cosmetic, cybernetic, diabetic, dietetic, diuretic, electromagnetic, emetic, energetic, exegetic, frenetic, genetic, Helvetic, hermetic, homiletic, kinetic, magnetic, metic, mimetic, parenthetic, pathetic, peripatetic, phonetic, photosynthetic, poetic, prophetic, prothetic, psychokinetic, splenetic, sympathetic, syncretic, syndetic, synthetic, telekinetic, theoretic, zetetic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan