Definition of aschelminth in English:
noun (plural aschelminths or aschelminthesˌaskhelˈminTHēzˌaSHhel-)Zoology
- Phylum Nematoda and about seven minor phyla, formerly placed in a phylum Aschelminthes
- Since aschelminths all lack substantial hard parts, their fossil record is extremely spotty.
- Clearly, the status of several traditional ‘aschelminthes’ groups awaits further confirmation.
- An alternative explanation is that it was a kind of aschelminth (pseudocoelomate worm), as indicated for example by its asymmetrical mouth.
From modern Latin Aschelminthes (former phylum name), from Greek askos 'sac' + helminth 'worm' (from the former belief that animals of this group had a fluid-filled internal sac).
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.