Definition of ascidian in English:
A sea squirt.
- Phylum Chordata, Subphylum Urochordata, class Ascidiacea
- Above, a seastar fish swims amongst a garden of ascidians and soft corals.
- Some organisms, such as nematodes and ascidians, have a remarkably precise pattern of cell divisions in early development.
- Boulders are infested with black tree corals, mussels, cowrie shells, soft and hard corals and ascidians.
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin plural Ascidia (genus name), from Greek askidion, diminutive of askos 'wineskin'.
Words that rhyme with ascidianDerridean, Dravidian, enchiridion, Euclidean, Floridian, Gideon, Lydian, meridian, Numidian, obsidian, Pisidian, quotidian, viridian
Definition of ascidian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.