noun (plural asci /ˈasī, ˈaskī, -kē/)Botany
- A sac, typically cylindrical in shape, in which the spores of ascomycete fungi develop.More example sentences
- Hymenium - the spore-bearing layer of a fruiting body, containing asci, spores and paraphyses.
- Spores were liberated from asci, and vegetative cells were killed, by treatment with glusulase and ethanol.
- When mature, a perithecium contains several hundred asci that are ejected by turgor pressure.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek askos 'bag'.
More definitions of ascusDefinition of ascus in:
- The British & World English dictionary