Definition of ash dieback in English:
A serious fungal disease of the European ash, characterized by the progressive death of the tree’s branches: the number of woodland sites where ash dieback has been detected has doubled
- The disease is caused by Hymenoscyphus pseudoalbidus (also called Chalara fraxinea), subdivision Ascomycotina
More example sentences
- It has emerged that 100,000 ash trees have already been burnt to stop the spread of ash dieback.
- The threat of ash dieback is mitigated by the vigour with which new trees regenerate in the British climate.
- The first outbreak of ash dieback has been confirmed in Northern Ireland.
Definition of ash dieback in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan