noun (plural same or askaris)
- (In East Africa) a soldier or police officer.More example sentences
- They should instead take comfort in the fact that African askaris and Indian sepoys fought as mercenaries in the armies of the British Empire.
- ‘They don't like butterfly farmers-we are like askaris to them,’ says Kiti, using the Swahili word for soldiers or guards.
- They were local askaris who thought we were rebels from the north.
late 19th century: from Arabic 'askarī 'soldier'.
More definitions of askariDefinition of askari in:
- The British & World English dictionary