Definition of askew in English:
1Not in a straight or level position: [as adverb]: the door was hanging askew on one twisted hinge [as predicative adjective]: her hat was slightly askew
More example sentences
- Brent turned to me, rolling his eyes, his tri-corner hat slightly askew.
- At the door two glassy-eyed guards slowly tilt their heads slightly askew in opposite directions, and then towards each other.
- Objects that would normally hug the wall were positioned askew.
1.1Wrong; awry: [as adverb]: the plan went sadly askew [as adjective]: outrageous humor with a decidedly askew point of view
More example sentences
- Don't punish the press just because the publishers' plans have gone askew.
- A few of the facts are slightly askew but the enthusiasm of the article is interesting.
- One slip and the entire story would go slightly askew.
Words that rhyme with askewaccrue, adieu, ado, anew, Anjou, aperçu, ballyhoo, bamboo, bedew, bestrew, billet-doux, blew, blue, boo, boohoo, brew, buckaroo, canoe, chew, clew, clou, clue, cock-a-doodle-doo, cockatoo, construe, coo, Corfu, coup, crew, Crewe, cru, cue, déjà vu, derring-do, dew, didgeridoo, do, drew, due, endue, ensue, eschew, feu, few, flew, flu, flue, foreknew, glue, gnu, goo, grew, halloo, hereto, hew, Hindu, hitherto, how-do-you-do, hue, Hugh, hullabaloo, imbrue, imbue, jackaroo, Jew, kangaroo, Karroo, Kathmandu, kazoo, Kiangsu, knew, Kru, K2, kung fu, Lahu, Lanzhou, Lao-tzu, lasso, lieu, loo, Lou, Manchu, mangetout, mew, misconstrue, miscue, moo, moue, mu, nardoo, new, non-U, nu, ooh, outdo, outflew, outgrew, peekaboo, Peru, pew, plew, Poitou, pooh, pooh-pooh, potoroo, pursue, queue, revue, roo, roux, rue, Selous, set-to, shampoo, shih-tzu, shoe, shoo, shrew, Sioux, skean dhu, skew, skidoo, slew, smew, snafu, sou, spew, sprue, stew, strew, subdue, sue, switcheroo, taboo, tattoo, thereto, thew, threw, thro, through, thru, tickety-boo, Timbuktu, tiramisu, to, to-do, too, toodle-oo, true, true-blue, tu-whit tu-whoo, two, vendue, view, vindaloo, virtu, wahoo, wallaroo, Waterloo, well-to-do, whereto, whew, who, withdrew, woo, Wu, yew, you, zoo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.