- 1A tall plant of the lily family with fine feathery foliage, cultivated for its edible shoots.
More example sentences
- Asparagus officinalis, family Liliaceae
- A member of the lily family, asparagus is also related to onions, leeks and garlic.
- Asparagus beetles tend to shy away from asparagus when tomatoes, parsley or basil are planted nearby.
- Despite the admirable longevity of an established asparagus bed, the plants get off to a slow start.
- 1.1The tender young shoots of the asparagus, eaten as a vegetable and considered a delicacy.More example sentences
- Good sources of folate include oranges, green leafy vegetables, asparagus and cantaloupe melon.
- Combine the corn with steamed green vegetables like asparagus and offer baked potatoes to ensure the children don't go hungry.
- The tender, juicy asparagus provides a counterpoint to the fried food.
mid 16th century: via Latin from Greek asparagos.
More definitions of asparagusDefinition of asparagus in:
- The British & World English dictionary