Definition of aspect ratio in English:
1The ratio of the width to the height of an image or screen.
- By choosing the amount by which we squeeze the image inwards, we can transmit an image that has the right aspect ratio on any widescreen television.
- Preserving the full-frame aspect ratio of the television broadcast, the video here is clean, bright, and surprisingly warm.
- Worst of all, the film has been modified from its original aspect ratio to ‘full screen format.’
2 Aeronautics The ratio of the span to the mean chord of an airfoil.
- Another interesting thing is that the speed polar of the higher aspect ratio wing (constant span) lies above the original polar at all speeds!
- Wing area doesn't effect it, other than more area generally means a lower aspect ratio, and therefore lower span efficiency.
- Physically, the new wing will have a higher aspect ratio and a more pronounced sweepback angle, allowing for more efficient high-speed cruise performance.
Definition of aspect ratio in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan