- 1The rite of sprinkling holy water at the beginning of the Mass, still used occasionally in Catholic churches.More example sentences
- The asperges may be done after the Renewal of Baptismal Vows at the Easter Vigil.
- At the Eucharist with the September CPT delegation, we began the liturgy with asperges.
- 1.1 another term for aspergillum.
late 16th century: the first word of the Latin (Vulgate) text of Psalms 51:9 (literally 'thou shalt purge'), recited before Mass during the sprinkling of holy water.
More definitions of aspergesDefinition of asperges in:
- The British & World English dictionary