Definition of associationism in English:
A theory in philosophy or psychology that regards the simple association or co-occurrence of ideas or sensations as the primary basis of meaning, thought, or learning.
- Psychological behaviorism is associationism without appeal to mental events.
- The Romantic conception of the self was an outgrowth of Kant's critique of associationism.
- At this point, the regime began to get nervous about the spread of associationism, and it responded by refusing to legalize more independent housewife organizations.
associationist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Cognitive theories of learning have moved away from the associationist view and tried to explain the influences of other processes, such as attention, imagination, thinking, and feeling.
- Not all behavioral associationists, to be sure, shared Skinner's disdain for theory.
- Consider now the rise of the associationist paradigm.
Definition of associationism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan