Definition of assort in English:
1 [no object] Genetics (Of genes or characters) become distributed among cells or progeny.
- The extent to which alleles assort randomly on chromosomes depends on the recombination rate, as well as on the demographic history of the species and on the selective pressures exercised on the genomic region.
- If these genes were to assort independently, eight susceptible plants should have been identified.
- Consequently, linked blocks of genes are inherited intact in the form of whole chromosomes from fathers, while loci on chromosomes from mothers assort randomly.
2 [with object] archaic Place in a group; classify: he would assort it with the fabulous dogs as a monstrous invention
More example sentences
- All the transcribed interviews were assorted into thematic units, each corresponding to a set of data obtained from interviewees.
- The designer told her to go through all the magazines and tear out the projects and articles she was interested in, then she had to assort them into categories.
- The deposits here are assorted into several grades of gravel for building, paving, and ballast purposes.
Words that rhyme with assortabort, apport, athwart, aught, besought, bethought, bort, bought, brought, caught, cavort, comport, consort, contort, Cort, court, distraught, escort, exhort, export, extort, fort, fought, fraught, import, methought, misreport, mort, naught, nought, Oort, ought, outfought, port, Porte, purport, quart, rort, short, snort, sort, sought, sport, support, swart, taught, taut, thought, thwart, tort, transport, wart, wrought
Definition of assort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan