Definition of aster in English:
1A plant of the daisy family that has bright rayed flowers, typically of purple or pink.
- Genus Aster, family Compositae: numerous species, many of which bloom in autumn, including the wild purple New England aster (A. novae-angliae) . See also China aster
- Sow annual flowers such as asters, cosmos, zinnias and marigolds as soon as the frost has passed and the air begins to warm up.
- There are flowers everywhere in a carpet of colour: orange globemallows and white asters and purple lupins.
- Roses, pansies, perennial asters, zinnias and even weeds become mildewed.
2 Biology A star-shaped structure formed during division of the nucleus of an animal cell.
- Such abnormalities can be due to abnormalities in the number of asters and spindle structures at earlier stages of meiosis.
- Before mitosis, the centrosome becomes duplicated and the daughter centrosomes move to opposite sides of the nucleus and form asters.
- Meiosis is completed shortly after ovulation, concomitant with the formation of an extensive sperm aster nucleated by the sperm-derived centrosome.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan