noun (plural astragali /-ˌlī/)chiefly Zoology
- another term for talus1.More example sentences
- Most of what I found were unidentifiable broken sections of long bones, but I did find a bird femur (thigh bone) and a nice rodent astragalus (ankle bone).
- Next to the pelvic bone was a much smaller bone, an astragalus (ankle bone), also of an elephant.
- In the hind limb of these species, the bones of the ankle are also reduced in number, and the astragalus becomes the main weight-bearing bone.
mid 16th century: via Latin from Greek astragalos 'ankle bone, molding', also the name of a vetch.
More definitions of astragalusDefinition of astragalus in:
- The British & World English dictionary