- A binary star system in which one companion is invisible, but is known to be present from its effect on measurements relating to the other.More example sentences
- As technology has improved over time, a number of binaries originally identified as astrometric binaries have been upgraded to visual binary because of the sighting of the secondary in the system.
- About a hundred astrometric binary candidates have been discovered by Hipparcos.
- Thus Sirius was originally an astrometric binary, but is now a visual binary.
More definitions of astrometric binaryDefinition of astrometric binary in:
- The British & World English dictionary