Definition of astronaut in English:
A person who is trained to travel in a spacecraft.
- How much food do we need to have on the spacecraft for the astronauts to go to Mars?
- I always really enjoy explaining how space travel works and how you train for a space mission as an astronaut.
- It will be the second time American astronauts return to Earth in a Soyuz spacecraft.
1920s: from astro-, on the pattern of aeronaut and aquanaut.
- Example sentences
- ‘John has a deep interest in astronautical science and has the hands-on experience to back up what he has taught in the classroom,’ said Administrator O'Keefe.
- Between the point where we are today and the point where starry-eyed dreamers can pick up a catalog full of rocket engines and astronautical instruments there are a number of important things that need to happen.
- He holds bachelor's and master's degrees in aeronautical and astronautical engineering from Ohio State University.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia