Definition of astronaut in English:
A person who is trained to travel in a spacecraft.
- How much food do we need to have on the spacecraft for the astronauts to go to Mars?
- I always really enjoy explaining how space travel works and how you train for a space mission as an astronaut.
- It will be the second time American astronauts return to Earth in a Soyuz spacecraft.
1920s: from astro-, on the pattern of aeronaut and aquanaut.
- Example sentences
- ‘John has a deep interest in astronautical science and has the hands-on experience to back up what he has taught in the classroom,’ said Administrator O'Keefe.
- Between the point where we are today and the point where starry-eyed dreamers can pick up a catalog full of rocket engines and astronautical instruments there are a number of important things that need to happen.
- He holds bachelor's and master's degrees in aeronautical and astronautical engineering from Ohio State University.