- In June 2004 the Home Office refused to grant him asylum and was going to send him back to Iran.
- Each year, a smaller proportion of asylum applications is being granted.
- Rape is routinely used as a weapon of war, but rape victims are rarely granted asylum.
- Moreover, most of them languish in mental asylums and hospitals without being visited or taken care of by their relatives.
- We should have institutions and asylums where we can put those people and care for them, and where they are protected from society and society is protected from them.
- Once upon a time there were big Victorian asylums where the mentally ill were institutionalised.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'place of refuge', especially for criminals): via Latin from Greek asulon 'refuge', from asulos 'inviolable', from a- 'without' + sulon 'right of seizure'. The current senses date from the 18th century.
At first an asylum was a ‘place of refuge, especially for criminals’; it came via Latin from Greek asulon ‘refuge’, from a- ‘without’, and sulon ‘right of seizure’. Current senses referring to political refuge or to an institution for the mentally ill, date from the 18th century.
Words that rhyme with asylumhilum, phylum, whilom
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.