Definition of atheist in English:
A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods: he is a committed atheist
More example sentences
- Most agnostics are closer in beliefs to atheists than to theists.
- Most of my college professors and intellectual mentors were devout atheists.
- For years we had people utter a religious oath, even when many of them were atheists or agnostics.
nonbeliever, disbeliever, unbeliever, skeptic, doubter, doubting Thomas, agnostic;
- Example sentences
- She has renounced the life of a violent revolutionary and embraced Jainism, an atheistical Indian philosophy whose practitioners advocate the ethical principle of nonviolence, often living its precepts to the extreme.
- According to Bishop Gilbert Burnet, Brodrick ‘had been very atheistical and wicked, but was as great an example as ever I knew of an eminent conversion before his death’.
- Three days before Marlowe's death the same Baines delivered a note to the Privy Council that claimed to record an atheistical lecture delivered by Marlowe.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.