1Electrical disturbances in the atmosphere due to lightning and other phenomena, especially as they interfere with telecommunications.
- The distance between flight tracks would depend on weather and atmospherics and how they impacted on radar range.
- Your preflight weather briefing can be somewhat more critical in winter, because weather moves so quickly that a destination only 100 miles away may have dramatically different atmospherics than your point of departure.
- While the far west may have the more vicious winter temperatures, often subceeding minus 40 degrees C, the northeast is infamous for its radically changeable winter atmospherics.
2Effects intended to create a particular atmosphere or mood, especially in music: a jazz sound with spooky atmospherics
More example sentences
- The atmospherics, effects and acting are awesome.
- Now, recording under the moniker Microbunny (a distortion of a nickname someone gave him), Okada creates sublime atmospherics that would no doubt please his mentor.
- Indeed, Sanko's guitar and voice, with some additional atmospherics provided by subtle effects and keyboard flourishes, constitute the album's core.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of atmospherics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.