(also atomic bomb)
- A bomb that derives its destructive power from the rapid release of nuclear energy by fission of heavy atomic nuclei, causing damage through heat, blast, and radioactivity. Compare with hydrogen bomb.
In such a bomb two pieces of a fissile material are brought together by a conventional explosion to form a super critical mass. Neutrons then cause an uncontrolled fission chain reaction that quickly releases large amounts of energyMore example sentences
- The simple atom bomb owed its explosive power to the energy released by nuclear fission, or fusion.
- The blast was 600 times as violent as the Hiroshima atom bomb and shot a nuclear cloud more than 17 miles high into the air.
- Now and then, historic images are etched in the mass mind: the awesome mushroom cloud of the atom bomb will forever represent the specter of nuclear destruction.
More definitions of atom bombDefinition of atom bomb in:
- The British & World English dictionary