- An informal expression of encouragement or admiration, typically to a man or boy.More example sentences
- Come on, Red, get in the house… attaboy, attaboy.
nounBack to top
- A piece of encouragement or congratulations, especially a letter: our boss will write you guys an attaboyMore example sentences
- This past April, he received personal attaboys from both the prime minister and the president when annual sales broke $1 billion - a record for a publicly traded tech company in India.
- ‘You guys didn't get any attaboys,’ he said, ‘and the rest of us got a bunch of them.’
- The dog found it quickly and froze in a classic stance, posed for pictures, got more than a few pats and attaboys and never once moved until Randy tooted his whistle and picked up the bird.
early 20th century: probably representing a casual pronunciation of that's the boy.
More definitions of attaboyDefinition of attaboy in:
- The British & World English dictionary