Definition of attorney in English:
noun (plural attorneys)
1A person appointed to act for another in business or legal matters.
- Other important intermediaries were legal attorneys, who represented the Christian groups in their dealings with the state.
- The court would appoint public attorneys to represent Estrada.
- You and your attorney should understand your business situation thoroughly before you decide on a license.
2chiefly US A lawyer.
- About two dozen women qualified as attorneys by the end of the decade.
- As you reach your twilight years, meeting with a qualified attorney to develop an estate plan is a priority.
- Well, I think he is going to rely on the counsel of his attorneys.
Middle English: from Old French atorne, past participle of atorner 'assign', from a 'toward' + torner 'turn'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan