Definition of auk in English:
A short-winged diving seabird found in northern oceans, typically with a black head and black and white underparts.
- Family Alcidae (the auk family), which comprises the guillemots, murres, razorbills, puffins, and their relatives. See also great auk, dovekie
- The long Norwegian coast is home to millions of seabirds, including a large number of auks and kittiwakes, which are found in the northern half of the country.
- Perhaps the only exceptions are auks, penguins and other birds which ‘fly’ under water.
- The auks ' ecological niche was similar to the penguins ’, but not the same.
late 17th century: from Old Norse álka 'razorbill'.
Definition of auk in:
- British & World English dictionary