Definition of auk in English:
A short-winged diving seabird found in northern oceans, typically with a black head and black and white underparts.
- Family Alcidae (the auk family), which comprises the guillemots, murres, razorbills, puffins, and their relatives. See also great auk, dovekie
- The long Norwegian coast is home to millions of seabirds, including a large number of auks and kittiwakes, which are found in the northern half of the country.
- Perhaps the only exceptions are auks, penguins and other birds which ‘fly’ under water.
- The auks ' ecological niche was similar to the penguins ’, but not the same.
Late 17th century: from Old Norse álka 'razorbill'.
Words that rhyme with aukbaulk, Bork, caulk (US calk), chalk, cork, Dundalk, Falk, fork, gawk, hawk, Hawke, nork, orc, outwalk, pork, squawk, stalk, stork, talk, torc, torque, walk, york
Definition of auk in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.