A solid solution of carbon in a nonmagnetic form of iron, stable at high temperatures. It is a constituent of some forms of steel.
More example sentences
- Titanium can reduce carbon in austenite by forming very stable carbides.
- This level of carbon also decreases the solubility of the microalloying constituents in austenite.
- When the steel is heated well above the upper critical temperature large austenite crystals form.
early 20th century: from the name of Sir William Roberts- Austen (1843–1902), English metallurgist, + -ite1.
- More example sentences
- One significant difference between the cast and wrought stainless steels is in the microstructure of cast austenitic stainless steels.
- The basic composition of austenitic stainless steels is 18% chromium and 8% nickel.
- Cold rolled austenitic stainless steel is another alternative.
Definition of austenite in:
- The British & World English dictionary