dated or , offensive
Definition of Australoid in English:
Of or belonging to the division of humankind represented by Australian Aboriginal peoples.
- A strong case can be made out that the now ubiquitous straight or wavy-haired Australoid Aborigines weren't in fact Aboriginal, that is, first occupants.
- People had reached New Guinea and Australia from Indonesia by at least 40,000 years ago; there they developed Australoid characteristics in isolation.
- Skull types representing the Mediterranean, Mongoloid, Negroid and Australoid people represent the races of mankind.
nounBack to top
A person belonging to the Australian Aboriginal division of humankind.
- Even so, the coastal and inland Aborigines did not regard these smaller Australoids as their own kind.
- The Australoids went to New Guinea, Australia, and Melanesia; the Mongoloids, through Micronesia and Polynesia.
- Likewise the Australoids of Indonesia were wiped out by the ‘Austronesian’ peoples from Taiwan and the Phillipines who expanded throughout almost all of the Pacific Basin.
Definition of Australoid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.