The ecological study of an individual organism, or sometimes a particular species. Contrasted with synecology.
- It is obvious that a single data point may not be representative of the overall autecology of this species.
- However, little is known of the biology and autecology of Clitoria.
- Of these five species of woodland winter annuals, only C. verna has received much attention with regard to autecology.
- Example sentences
- The feeding ecology and habitat preferences of desmostylians are not well understood, but before we can begin to explore what part, if any, desmostylians played in past coastal ecosystems, we need such basic autecological data.
- As we gathered information from the literature about the traits and characteristics of individual species, it became apparent that basic autecological information on many invasive species is not readily available.
- More importantly, when extrapolating to ancient floras, you cannot guarantee that the autecological preferences of ancestral plants resemble those of their extant descendants.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of autecology in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.