noun (plural autoantibodies)Physiology
- An antibody produced by an organism in response to a constituent of its own tissues.More example sentences
- Autoantibodies such as antinuclear antibodies and myositis-specific autoantibodies bind to proteins normally present inside one's own normal skin and muscle cells.
- Examples of these substances include plasma proteins such as albumin and immunoglobulins, pathogenic autoantibodies, clotting factors, endotoxins, and proinflammatory cytokines.
- All patients had significant increases in autoantibodies against neural antigens.
More definitions of autoantibodyDefinition of autoantibody in:
- The British & World English dictionary