Definition of autocrat in English:
1A ruler who has absolute power.
- And he was, if you like, an absolute autocrat, a ruler.
- As revolution spread to Palermo, Milan and Naples it seemed as if the people of Italy could break the domination of the myriad of foreign rulers and domestic autocrats.
- They established a framework for a strongly authoritarian government and placed no limitations on the powers of the autocrat.
1.1Someone who insists on complete obedience from others; an imperious or domineering person.
- The rights of individuals are no longer inalienable, nor are their persons inviolable; all depends on the good will of the Commander, the military autocrat.
- But, in corporations, the autocrats who run these places can't leave people on their own.
- In other words, churches had been razed on the basis of an untruth, while the laity - who generally opposed changes mandated by clerical autocrats - were expected to foot the bill.