Definition of autocrat in English:
1A ruler who has absolute power.
- And he was, if you like, an absolute autocrat, a ruler.
- As revolution spread to Palermo, Milan and Naples it seemed as if the people of Italy could break the domination of the myriad of foreign rulers and domestic autocrats.
- They established a framework for a strongly authoritarian government and placed no limitations on the powers of the autocrat.
1.1Someone who insists on complete obedience from others; an imperious or domineering person.
- The rights of individuals are no longer inalienable, nor are their persons inviolable; all depends on the good will of the Commander, the military autocrat.
- But, in corporations, the autocrats who run these places can't leave people on their own.
- In other words, churches had been razed on the basis of an untruth, while the laity - who generally opposed changes mandated by clerical autocrats - were expected to foot the bill.
Words that rhyme with autocratplutocrat • babysat
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan