Definition of autohypnosis in English:
Induction of a hypnotic state in oneself; self-hypnosis.
- States of ‘altered consciousness’, hypnosis, autohypnosis, euphoria, and psychosomatic conditions such as hysteria, may be accompanied by insensitivity to pain.
- Conversion disorder has been associated with hypnotic susceptibility for over a century and is currently still believed to be a form of autohypnosis.
- When I asked him about the standard line - ‘all hypnosis is autohypnosis, no subject would ever do something against their will, etc’ - he surprised me by flatly saying this was bunk.
- Example sentences
- There is often a queue, and the intense stimulation of my olfactory system relaxes my mind and lulls me into an autohypnotic state as I wait to be served.
- Tonight I pulled it all together: long, hot bath, and soothing music, and slow yoga, and then I followed all the steps for bringing on a light autohypnotic trance.
- Learn two powerful autohypnotic relaxation techniques that can help you feel in control of the stress that plagues you.
Definition of autohypnosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan