Definition of autolysis in English:
The destruction of cells or tissues by their own enzymes, especially those released by lysosomes.
- Specimens from living patients vastly outnumber autopsy specimens, and the absence of autolysis makes tissue from living people technically preferable for most purposes.
- A common problem for pathologists examining hysterectomy specimens is finding pronounced tissue autolysis.
- Ultrastructural examination failed to detect viral inclusions, although the tissue exhibited a sizable degree of postmortem autolysis.
- Example sentences
- They are chosen for their ability to absorb moisture if the wound is draining or for their ability to stimulate autolytic debridement if the wound has necrotic tissue.
- A senescence-like autolytic programme is present in unicellular and filamentous green algae.
- Moreover, autopsy studies are perceived as providing suboptimal material due to autolytic changes and they are also hampered by the unavailability, in most instances, of immunofluorescence and electron microscopic studies.
Definition of autolysis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan