Definition of automatism in English:
1The performance of actions without conscious thought or intention.
- This problem highlights the difficulty in delineating the dividing line between automatism and insanity, or, as it is often termed non-insane automatism and insane automatism.
- In any case, automatism itself, though perhaps a kind of bypassing of the will, does not seem to me to represent necessarily an impairment of the agent's volitional capacities.
- Thus, where the malfunctioning of the mind is caused by an external factor, the legal classification is automatism rather than insanity; where it is arises from an internal cause, the classification is insanity.
1.1 Art The avoidance of conscious intention in producing works of art, especially by using mechanical techniques or subconscious associations.
- Despite these developments, the decline of automatism as a Surrealist technique can be perceived as early as 1930, the date of the Second Surrealist Manifesto.
- His esthetic interests ran to European Surrealism, and with William Baziotes and Jackson Pollock he began to experiment with nontraditional ways of making art, including automatism.
- Like many midcentury abstractionists, he was influenced by the Surrealist idea of automatism, which he incorporated into his early works.
1.2An action performed unconsciously or involuntarily.
- He sums up his discussion of automatisms (automatic writing and so on) by saying that they ‘represent a class of instances in which apparent mental causation fails.’
- Motor automatisms were the ‘movement of limbs or hand or tongue, initiated by an inner motor impulse beyond the conscious will’.
- Six patients described an aura, and three were noted to have automatisms.
Definition of automatism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.