- The part of the nervous system responsible for control of the bodily functions not consciously directed, such as breathing, the heartbeat, and digestive processes.More example sentences
- The hormones of the HPA axis exert their effect on the autonomic nervous system, which controls such vital functions as heart rate, blood pressure, and digestion.
- These small muscles in the blood vessels are controlled by the autonomic nervous system.
- It works by monitoring the body's feedback and controlling the autonomic nervous system, which regulates involuntary bodily functions such as heart rate, sweating, and breathing.
More definitions of autonomic nervous systemDefinition of autonomic nervous system in:
- The British & World English dictionary