Definition of autorotation in English:
1.1Autorotation in the rotor blades of a helicopter that is descending without engine power.
- I entered autorotation, jettisoned the external load and landed the aircraft.
- Unless the crew had the presence of mind to close both throttles at the instant of autorotation, an asymmetric thrust condition would have made an inverted spin even more unstable.
- The two were reportedly practicing high-altitude autorotations at 6,000 ft near the northern Italian air force base at Rimini.
- Example sentences
- Diaspores are 22-mg and 22 mm long samara-like winged seeds that autorotate while falling at an average terminal velocity of 0.81 [+ or -] 0.01 m/s, mean [+ or -] 1 SE.
- During a previous flight, the pilot successfully autorotated to a field when the dual magneto failed.
- Subsequent to the ‘flameout,’ the aircraft was autorotated and a safe landing was made.
Definition of autorotation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan