Definition of avadavat in English:
A small southern Asian waxbill that is often kept as a caged bird. The male has red or green plumage and a red bill.
- Genus Amandava, family Estrildidae: the red avadavat (A. amandava) and the green avadavat (A. formosa)
- Drive to Kumbhalgarh Fort where green avadavat and white-naped tit are possible and stone chat is usually seen in the fort.
- The species name amandava and the common name of avadavat is derived from the city of Ahmedabad in Gujarat from where these birds were exported into the pet trade.
- I was hoping to get a pair of green avadavats but the shop didn't have them anymore.
Late 17th century: named after the city of Ahmadabad in India, where the birds were sold.
Definition of avadavat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.