Definition of avadavat in English:
A small southern Asian waxbill that is often kept as a caged bird. The male has red or green plumage and a red bill.
- Genus Amandava, family Estrildidae: the red avadavat (A. amandava) and the green avadavat (A. formosa)
- Drive to Kumbhalgarh Fort where green avadavat and white-naped tit are possible and stone chat is usually seen in the fort.
- The species name amandava and the common name of avadavat is derived from the city of Ahmedabad in Gujarat from where these birds were exported into the pet trade.
- I was hoping to get a pair of green avadavats but the shop didn't have them anymore.
Late 17th century: named after the city of Ahmadabad in India, where the birds were sold.
Definition of avadavat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan