Having or showing an extreme greed for wealth or material gain: a corrupt and avaricious government
More example sentences
- Early poverty left her with an avaricious streak and occasionally greed has cost her.
- Why should I have to stand up and behave like other greedy, acquisitive, avaricious people, arguing and shouting and snarling about something which is a well known truth and is not to be questioned?
- The first act deals with the beastly behaviour of bees and act two features avaricious beetles, greedy ducks and dopey crickets with a pronounced Cork accent.
greedy, acquisitive, covetous, rapacious, grasping, materialistic, mercenary
- Example sentences
- As China sheds its cultural opposition to consumerism, decadence and so on, it is quickly and avariciously making the move from commodity manufacturing to rolling-out consumer brands.
- I especially liked the way that PC looked avariciously at it last night and said ‘Ohhh, where did you get that?’
- TV dramas and shows are partly to blame for this trend if people pursue money avariciously.
- Example sentences
- I did not know that this covers a grasping avariciousness by the family towards the children.
- This has, he argues, ‘removed the taint of avariciousness that had always discoloured the market’.
- I would suggest however, that the richer members of York society are just as guilty and that it's their avariciousness that is also to blame.
Late Middle English: from Old French avaricieux, based on Latin avarus 'greedy' (see avarice).
Words that rhyme with avariciousadventitious, Aloysius, ambitious, auspicious, capricious, conspicuous, delicious, expeditious, factitious, fictitious, flagitious, judicious, lubricious, malicious, Mauritius, meretricious, nutritious, officious, pernicious, propitious, repetitious, seditious, siliceous, superstitious, suppositious, surreptitious, suspicious, vicious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.