Definition of aventurine in English:
1Brownish glass containing sparkling particles of copper or gold: [as modifier]: aventurine glass
More example sentences
- The bowl and foot of the elegant vase shown in Plate IX are formed of blown aventurine glass, which is exceedingly difficult to work.
- The highest price was reserved for the object realized in vetro a reticello or blown aventurine glass, both difficult to work.
- The Stanford museum has three vases executed in the smelze technique whereby existing bits of colored glass, often including aventurine, were melted together.
1.1A translucent mineral containing small reflective particles, typically quartz containing mica or iron compounds, or feldspar containing hematite.
- Using materials native to New Zealand and semiprecious stones like aventurine, rose quartz and freshwater pearls, each of her pieces are totally original.
- Plutonites, also magmatic, form in conditions of extreme heat and pressure far deeper within the Earth; colourful translucent crystals such as aventurine, peridot and rose quartz are the result.
- For example, amethyst blends well with lavender, fire agate with sunflowers, citrine with chamomile, aventurine with mint, sunstone with marigolds or daisy, and so forth.
Early 18th century: from French, from Italian avventurino, from avventura 'chance' (because of its accidental discovery).
Words that rhyme with aventurineendocrine • vulturine
Definition of aventurine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.