Definition of avidity in English:
1Extreme eagerness or enthusiasm: he read detective stories with avidity
More example sentences
- Over the years I have read with avidity various intellectual disputes in The New York Review of Books and other literary journals.
- With a tractable reading list in front of me my impatience with reading turned quickly into avidity.
- The euro seems to be reviled with avidity and fervour wherever one goes, from Holland to the Med.
1.1 Biochemistry The overall strength of binding between an antibody and an antigen.
- If infection is established (infection greater than about 4 months), this agent will have a lesser ability to disrupt the complexes because of high antibody avidity (binding strength).
- To improve the diagnosis of illness caused by B 19 and to discriminate primary from secondary infection, a protein denaturing assay for avidity of erythrovirus-specific IgG antibodies or measurement of IgG subclass, can be used.
- Because of the low avidity of the antibody, HSF1 needed to be enriched prior to western blot.
Late Middle English: from French avidité or Latin aviditas, from avidus 'eager, greedy'.
Words that rhyme with avidityacidity, acridity, aridity, cupidity, flaccidity, fluidity, frigidity, humidity, hybridity, insipidity, intrepidity, limpidity, liquidity, lividity, lucidity, morbidity, placidity, putridity, quiddity, rabidity, rancidity, rapidity, rigidity, solidity, stolidity, stupidity, tepidity, timidity, torpidity, torridity, turgidity, validity, vapidity
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.