Definition of avulsion in English:
1The action of pulling or tearing away.
- Other etiologies of groin pain include sports hernia, groin disruption, iliopsoas bursitis, stress fractures, avulsion fractures, nerve compression and snapping hip syndrome.
- The athlete commonly presents to the physician with a chronic untreated profundus avulsion.
- Treatment using nail avulsion in combination with topical therapy has been somewhat more successful, but this approach can be time-consuming, temporarily disabling and painful.
1.1 Law The sudden separation of land from one property and its attachment to another, especially by flooding or a change in the course of a river. Compare with alluvion.
- Abandonment of a former course through avulsion and meander-loop cut-off produces many lakes.
- Avulsion in a coastal area, of course, simply destroys property and moves the boundary, as there is no opposite bank to gain.
- Ohio Revised Code (Law) states that land lost by erosion but regained by avulsion, reverts ownership back to the upland property owner.
Early 17th century: from Latin avulsion-, from the verb avellere, from ab- 'from' + vallere 'pluck'.
- Example sentences
- For this reason, great pains are taken to ensure that the dry creek bed is properly prepared to receive the flow of the tributary now avulsing over the alluvial fan.
- At Westminster, he played rugby, and when a scrum collapsed, he avulsed a spinous process, very painful, but he was able to claim later that he had ‘broken his back.’
- The worst injury he had seen since he started at Heiwa had been a nearly avulsed finger that had been slammed in a closed door by a careless gentleman who had let the good news of his engagement get the better of him.
Words that rhyme with avulsioncompulsion, convulsion, emulsion, expulsion, impulsion, propulsion, repulsion, revulsion
Definition of avulsion in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan