- 1Causing difficulty; hard to do or deal with: one of the most awkward jobs is painting a ceiling some awkward questions the wheelbarrow can be awkward to maneuverMore example sentences
- Had staff consulted with the minister and agreed to feign communication breakdown so as not to have to deal with my awkward questions?
- He dealt with an awkward question on devolution with the surety and intelligence you would expect from a man who refused to be bullied into Vietnam.
- O'Brien's hectic schedule may have been cast aside this weekend as he prepares to deal with many awkward questions, which may include some of the following.
- 1.1Deliberately unreasonable or uncooperative: you’re being damned awkward!More example sentences
- We did not want to be awkward and put any unreasonable obstructions in the way.
- I was asked to enter some of my favourite music, so being deliberately awkward, I entered four of my less well known favourites, first among them being Lucy Woodward.
- Everyone wants peace, no one wants war, and if you aren't prepared to march then you're either gung ho or deliberately awkward.
- 2Causing or feeling embarrassment or inconvenience: he had put her in a very awkward situationMore example sentences
- I'd like to encourage some interactivity in this blog, so if anyone would like to email me with their awkward or embarrassing moments, I can post them here anonymously.
- Even though she had never really cared to notice, the air was damp and the dripping coming from above made the silence very uneasy and awkward.
- There were a few uneasy seconds of awkward silence, everyone looking at Christine with apprehension.
- 3Not smooth or graceful; ungainly: Luther’s awkward movements impeded his progress she was long-legged and rather awkwardMore example sentences
- That most people walk in an ungraceful, ungainly and awkward manner with a forward inclination of the body does not mean that it is the normal way of walking.
- Now she faked her clumsy and awkward movements, often purposely stumbling over anything that came her way.
- Kouki could see by his stiff stance and awkward movement that he didn't like him.
- 3.1Uncomfortable or abnormal: make sure the baby isn’t sleeping in an awkward positionMore example sentences
- He stood as straight as he could, which was not very straight, since he spent nearly two hours in an uncomfortable and awkward position.
- As I lay on my side, too choked with inward giggling to move into a less awkward and uncomfortable position, my mother appeared.
- The members did this while crouching-on the floor in a very uncomfortable, awkward position.
- More example sentences
- He swung his legs slowly and awkwardly over the side of the bed and looked side to side.
- He stood awkwardly before her, painfully aware of the promise he had made, and not sure how to act.
- A grouse pretended to have a broken wing and ran awkwardly ahead to distract us from the chicks tumbling in the heather.
late Middle English (in the sense 'the wrong way around, upside down'): from dialect awk 'backward, perverse, clumsy' (from Old Norse afugr 'turned the wrong way') + -ward.