Definition of axenic in English:
Of, relating to, or denoting a culture that is free from living organisms other than the species required.
- Tips of generative shoots excised from flowering beets were the explants used to initiate axenic shoot cultures.
- Duckweeds also have the advantage that they may be grown in axenic cultures, reproducing vegetatively.
- Experiments that showed a PPFM strain could stimulate growth and development of a leafy liverwort in axenic culture were reported some time ago.
- Example sentences
- Cells were grown axenically in batch culture, in Bold's basal medium as described previously, under a constant light fluence.
- The cells were fed with ciliates Tetrahymena pyriformis, which were axenically cultured in medium containing 1.0% proteose peptone supplemented with 0.1% yeast extract.
- Rice plants were axenically grown in glass test tubes containing a strip of filter paper to support the seeds and filled with 15 ml of Long Ashton nutrient solution.
1940s: from a- 'not' + Greek xenikos 'alien, strange' + -ic.
Definition of axenic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.