Definition of axis deer in English:
A deer that has lyre-shaped antlers and a yellowish-brown coat with white spots, native to India and Sri Lanka.
- Cervus axis, family Cervidae
- With both the .50 and the 45, I have taken bison, elk, antelope, white-tailed deer, axis deer, fallow deer and turkey.
- They also enjoyed the scimitar-horned oryx, axis deer, fallow deer, sika deer, blackbuck antelope, eland, impala, bison and many more species calling the Rio Bonito home.
- A long-bearded old turkey gobbler greeted me at the gate, and whitetails, axis deer and blackbuck could be seen ghosting through the meadows if you only looked.
Early 17th century: axis from Latin, the name of an Indian animal mentioned by Pliny.
Definition of axis deer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan