Definition of axis deer in English:
A deer that has lyre-shaped antlers and a yellowish-brown coat with white spots, native to India and Sri Lanka.
- Cervus axis, family Cervidae
- With both the .50 and the 45, I have taken bison, elk, antelope, white-tailed deer, axis deer, fallow deer and turkey.
- They also enjoyed the scimitar-horned oryx, axis deer, fallow deer, sika deer, blackbuck antelope, eland, impala, bison and many more species calling the Rio Bonito home.
- A long-bearded old turkey gobbler greeted me at the gate, and whitetails, axis deer and blackbuck could be seen ghosting through the meadows if you only looked.
Early 17th century: axis from Latin, the name of an Indian animal mentioned by Pliny.
Definition of axis deer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.