Definition of axoneme in English:
The central strand of a cilium or flagellum. It is composed of an array of microtubules, typically in nine pairs around two single central ones.
- Furthermore, isolated mutant axonemes lacking the central pair or radial spokes can vigorously beat in certain nonphysiological solutions.
- There are nine paired microtubules per axoneme, and they are interconnected by dynein molecules, protruding at regular intervals like the legs of a millipede.
- It brings us to another question, whether the neck region of a flagellar axoneme with a basal body could make some mechanical hindrance to microtubules sliding.
- Example sentences
- The PCD phenotype results from axonemal abnormalities and dysfunction of motile cilia and flagella.
- Though speculative, perhaps these heterodimeric motors walk along the seam of the doublet microtubules or interact optimally with the microtubule-associated proteins found on axonemal microtubules.
- Previous studies have revealed that axonemal microtubules showed oscillatory sliding under the condition where the free bending of axonemes was restricted by adhering them on glass surfaces.
Early 20th century: from Greek axōn 'axis' + nēma 'thread'.
Definition of axoneme in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.