- A deciduous flowering shrub of the heath family with clusters of brightly colored, sometimes fragrant flowers. Technically classified as rhododendrons, azaleas are characteristically smaller than most other rhododendrons.
More example sentences
- Genus Rhododendron, family Ericaceae: many cultivars
- These are gardens for all seasons with the rhododendron dell, the azaleas and flowering cherry trees in spring, and the rose gardens in summer.
- The spectacular spring flowers of azaleas and rhododendrons make them among the most popular garden shrubs.
- Flowers are blooming weeks earlier than usual with Castle Howard boasting daffodils, snowdrops, rhododendrons, azaleas and crocuses.
mid 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek, feminine of azaleos 'dry', because the shrub flourishes in dry soil.
More definitions of azaleaDefinition of azalea in:
- The British & World English dictionary